[Skip to content]

Enter search here...
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
.
.
Test
Functional C1-Esterase Inhibitor
CategoryImmunology
Code
C1EF
Referral code
RHH
Test information
Inherited or acquired defects of this protein usually result in severe angioedema, which is a painless, non-itchy swelling of sub-dermal tissues and is life-threatening if the larynx is affected.  Low levels are found in 85% of cases of Hereditary Angioedema. The remaining 15% of cases are associated with a non-functioning protein, an assay for which is available. Acute attacks are treated by infusion of C1-inh concentrate or Fresh Frozen Plasma. Clinical assessment by an Immunologist is strongly recommended where this diagnosis is suspected.
Special requirements
Serum
Tube type
SST, Plain or Lithium Heparin
Gold, red and green top tubes
Assay frequency
Sent Away to a second Referral Lab. May take a further 2-3 weeks
TAT GP/Outpatient
up to 4 weeks
Referral lab
Immunology Russells Hall Hospital
Page last updated: 11 January 2022